By Paul Tocatlian.
“Wherever you go becomes a part of you somehow.”
It takes a bird’s eye view from a helicopter to see what the Hawaiian island of Kauai really looks like and witness the natural breathtaking beauty of the Garden Isle.
Jenna and I had the opportunity to take a helicopter tour of Kauai during our last visit. It was one of the highlights of our trip:
- We lifted off from the Lihue Airport towards Nawiliwili harbor and the Kauai Marriot Resort.
- Our first air destination was the tropical Hanapepe Valley which is known for its fantastic rainbows.
- Next, we saw the 400 ft. high Manawaiopuna Falls made famous in the movie Jurassic Park and entered Olokele Canyon, the gateway to the Grand Canyon of the Pacific, Waimea.
- We explored the spectacular and isolated Na Pali Coast and saw majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, secluded beaches and pristine cathedral cliffs.
- As our flight continued past the ancient caves and terraces, our pilot and owner of Island Helicopters – Curt Lofstedt – shared great legends of Hawaii and its people.
- We also saw Bali Hai and Lumahai Beach made famous in the movie South Pacific and flew to Hanalei Bay & Valley with a view of Princeville Resort.
- Finally, we flew inside the crater of Mt. Waialeale volcano where waterfalls cascade thousands of feet to the valley below.
- Many other fantastic locations were seen on this tour including Wailua Falls seen on the 80’s TV show Fantasy Island.
Thank you to Island Helicopters for this amazing experience. Island Helicopters is one of the oldest helicopter companies in Hawaii, started in 1980. The company is family owned and locally operated. They are the only company where the owner, Curt Lofstedt, continues to fly tours.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License by Paul Tocatlian.